Today was filled with travel necessities, primarily getting ourselves to the airport. We had an extended stop at an American family's home in Kampala, then headed to the airport where I am waiting to board our flight. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm sure you don't want to miss any nail-biting moments of our drive! So here goes.
We waited some time for our ride to arrive, and while we did, Sam and I took some photos of the hotel and the grounds.
There are a handful of diorama statue displays on the grounds depicting Ugandan tribal culture.
The van did arrive. I think our tired team was glad for that.
Proud of myself that we packed the bags in the rear of the van so there could be a teensy bit more leg room, eleven people piled into the van (8 team, 2 H&HF, and 1 driver). Not 3 minutes out of town we had to turn around to get some gas that had been left for us in jerry cans on the roadside. We suggested that they fill the tank immediately so that we didn't breathe the fumes.
Did I mention the US commando aircraft that had mechanical problems on its way through Uganda to South Sudan? It set down three weeks ago on the road between Kampala and Kjojo, and here it is as we whizzed by. We also saw it on the news at the hotel one night at dinner. Talk of the town!
You would think that I took more pictures from the rest of the day, but instead I was thinking about my knees in my chest and trying to not get car sick. I predicted our arrival time in Kampala to within about 10 minutes, but that was pure luck. Traffic in that city is ka-razy. If you told me there were 1 million 2-cycle motor cycles in that city I would believe you.
We arrived at a nice house, home to Kenneth and Delight Hopson, and their new publish-for-all printshop. Kenneth is a lifetime printer man, and has been publishing for WGM in Kampala for 10 years, and 4 years in Tanzania before that.
Their two kids still at home showed us the international school they attend while we were out on a walk. Delight served us a great "American style" beef stew dinner, Zuchinni cake, and coffee. It was great!
Getting on the road again at about 7pm or so, it took just over two hours to travel to Entebbe. 1 full hour of that was the craziest traffic jam I've ever seen. At one point, we were stuck in four lanes of van-taxis crammed into two physical lanes, while 10,000 boda-bodas (the little motor cycles loaded with 3-5 people or gear that barely fits in my mini van) zipped by us in a steady stream--like a literal SWARM! It was totally crazy! I am planning on writing a Haiku about the boda-boda.
We did finally make it to the airport, and said goodbye to pastor Sammy and Dr. Abel.
I'll upload now, and add more "J. Peterman" prose later.




No comments:
Post a Comment